Today we’re excited to announce the first of three Ancient Opar titles we’ll be putting up for preorder on our website in the coming weeks!
This summer Meteor House will release the never-before-published Restored Edition of Philip José Farmer’s classic novel Flight to Opar, the second volume of his acclaimed Khokarsa series.
This new edition—available as both an affordable trade paperback and a collectible limited edition hardcover—features nearly 4,000 words that were cut from Farmer’s original manuscript when the novel was published in 1976. Meteor House’s Restored Edition is the first and only publication of the novel ever to include the excised material, which encompasses long passages of narrative, dialogue, and rich world-building details on Ancient Opar and the civilization of Khokarsa that readers have never previously been able to enjoy—until now.
Meteor House’s Restored Edition of Flight to Opar also features cover art and a frontispiece by Hugo Award-winning artist Bob Eggleton as well as rare and previously unpublished bonus material, including:
- A Preface to the Restored Edition by Christopher Paul Carey (coauthor with Philip José Farmer of The Song of Kwasin, the third novel in the Khokarsa series)*
- A brand-new introduction by S. M. Stirling (New York Times bestselling author of the Change series)*
- The Khokarsan Language by Philip José Farmer**
- Khokarsan Glossary by Philip José Farmer and Christopher Paul Carey
- A Guide to Khokarsa by Christopher Paul Carey
- Early Notes on the Khokarsa Series by Philip José Farmer*
- Original Outline to Flight to Opar by Philip José Farmer*
- Cross-section Map of Opar by Philip José Farmer*
* Never before published.
** Only previously available in an out-of-print and extremely hard-to-find signed limited edition.
The hardcover limited edition will be signed by editor Christopher Paul Carey.
And while the trade paperback edition will not have a short print run, if you preorder a copy before publication, it will also be signed by editor Christopher Paul Carey.
Click here to preorder your copy now!