Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life
by Philip José Farmer
50th Anniversary Limited Edition!
6×9, 344 pages
Deluxe Limited Edition of 150 Copies
Ten years ago Meteor House published our first hardcover, a trade edition of Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life.
Now, just in time for PulpFest/FarmerCon (in early August) we’re kicking things up a couple notches with a Deluxe Limited 50th Anniversary Edition!
Just like the earlier trade edition, this book is full of bonus material:
- Tributes by Farmer and Doc experts: Win Scott Eckert, John Allen Small, Keith Howell, Rick Lai, Art Sippo, Christopher Paul Carey, and Will Murray
- Doc’s Coat of Arms, reconstructed by Win Scott Eckert and illustrated by Keith Howell, from notes by Philip José Farmer
- A List of Doc Savage Comics by Win Scott Eckert and John Allen Small, a rundown of authorized Doc Savage comics which supplements Mr. Farmer’s List of Doc Savage Stories
- Writing Doc’s Biography by Philip José Farmer
- Afterword to Doc Savage Omnibus #13 by Philip José Farmer
And full of fine features we have begun adding to our books over the last few years:
- Black leatherette cover
- Bronze foil stamping on the front, back, and spine
- Custom printed color end papers
- Facsimile signature page
- Color limitation page
- Sewn in silk bookmark
As with all of our limited editions, the print run will be based off the number of books preordered. Normally we take preorders for a couple of months, but in order to debut this collector’s item at FarmerCon, our preorder window is only two weeks! So, we’re expecting the print run for this book to be one of the smallest to date, probably only 100 copies.
Now here is where it gets fun! We’ve surveyed fans as to which of these two bronze foil designs they would prefer stamped on the cover . . .
. . . and it was pretty much a tie, there was no clearcut favorite. So, we’ve taken the very unusual step and decided that whatever the print run is, 50% will have the stamp with the temple, and 50% will have the stamp with Doc.
The books debuted at FarmerCon, and preorders were shipped to everyone else in mid-August. Here is a look at how the bronze foil stamping turned out (click the pictures to zoom in):
UPDATE: We’re down to less than 20 copies of each design, but some of the Mayan Pyraminds were not stamped as well as the others. The stamping is a bit of an artform, and if we were going to grade them, all the preordered copies got and A grade (90 to 100%). But some of the remaining copies definetly grade out as a B. It’s hard to get a good picture through the shrinkwrap but the two pictures below show an A stamp next to a B stamp. We are now selling B stock copies for $80 ($20 off).
When you make your purchase, be sure to select the cover stamp you want: Doc’s portrait, the Mayan temple, or the Mayan temple B stock.